Monthly Meetings

August 28, 2019 DEARS Board Meeting

PO Box 690905, Orlando, Florida 32869-0905  https://wd4wdw.org

Meeting Location: Disney’s All-Star Resort Cast Services Building, Box Office conference room

Attendees: Steve Martin, Ian Ward, Andy Milluzzi, Brenda Davis, Angel Hernandez

Call to order at 6:15 pm by Andy Milluzzi

Agenda was discussed and agreed upon

Introductions were held

Secretary’s Report

  • Minutes from previous meeting made available on the club’s website, https://wd4wdw.org
  • Previous meeting minutes were accepted by the attendees

Treasurer’s Report

  • The club’s current bank balance is $12,214.89
  • The club spent $11.49 and received $15.00 since the last general club meeting
  • Discussed proposals for purchasing merchandise for club general meetings
  • We have met our five-transaction minimum for the month
  • Recommended that ARRL memberships go through the club, since the ARRL will donate to the club for each membership and renewal

Old Business

  • Follow-up on previous expense questions from FY18 and FY19
    • A certified letter was sent to Ken Kerns requesting clarifications on questionable financial items.  The letter should have been received last Saturday.  We have not received confirmation of receipt yet.
  • Budget for the rest of FY19 and for FY20
  • Recurring expenditures:
Item Last Year Proposed Budget
ARRL Insurance $300 $300
Mobile Beacon $120 $120
Van Insurance $1440.60 $1500
Corporate Filings $131.25 $140
PO Box $134 $140
Gas for Van $208.51 $250
Promotional Materials $2158.86 $500
September Antenna Build $0 $100
Receipt Book $0 $10
Asset Tags $0 $50
Equipment Insurance $0 $50
Donation – Relay for Life $105 $110
Donation – Bowl-A-Thon $157.50 $170
  • Antenna Installation:
Item Proposed Budget
Reedy Creek Permit $200
Lift (2 days) – Sunbelt $1000
Coax Cable $200
Meal $100
Fall Protection Gear $150
Safety/Liability Insurance $500
  • Field Day:
Item Proposed Budget
Meals $250
Canopy/Netted Tent $250
Misc. Equipment $275
Fuel $25
High-Velocity Fans $200

New Business

  • Potential meeting topics for the October, 2019 meeting:
    • Nasa club – discuss Nasa data uplink (Andy reached out, is still awaiting a response)
    • Joe Eisenberg – discussion on radio kits (Brenda has extended an invitation)
    • Club activity
    • “Fun Day” to assist members with setting up their radios, DMR, etc.
    • Demonstrate message-passing over a repeater
    • Winlink discussion by Orlando ARES (Ian may have a contact)
    • Andy – Satellite discussions
    • HOA rules and antennas, stealth antenna ideas (may reach out to David Glasser)
    • APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System)
  • Ride-For-Ronald Participation on Sunday, October 13th
    • Propose it to the club membership in the next general meeting and see if there’s enough interest for participation
  • Disney’s Festival at Little Lake Bryan (similar to Spring Fling) on Saturday, October 19th
    • $3 admission per person
    • A cast member must escort non-cast members through the gate
    • Might be able to do a foxhunt (although the area is likely too small)
    • May demonstrate satellite listening
  • Maker Faire Orlando 2019
    • November 9th and 10th at the Central Florida Fairgrounds
    • Should we team up with the NASA and/or Clearwater clubs?  We teamed up with the Clearwater club last year.
    • We may want to set up a tent near the van this year
    • Andy suggested doing a hands-on activity that doesn’t need a long explanation (such as a crystal radio)
    • Might want to invite Joe Eisenberg to discuss radio kits
  • Next general club meeting: September 11th, 2019
  • Next administrative club meeting: September 25th, 2019
  • Adjourn: 8:40pm


August 14, 2019 DEARS Monthly Club Meeting

PO Box 690905, Orlando, Florida 32869-0905  https://www.wd4wdw.org

Meeting Location: Disney’s Pop Century Cast Services Building B, Memories Conference Room

Attendees: (counted 18 in the room but only 12 signed the roster)

Steve Martin, Ian Ward, Andy Milluzzi, Eric Israel, Brenda Davis, Devon Thornton, Eleanor Marshall, Paul Bousquet, Sean Wall, Ken Kerns, Ricardo Galarza, Steve VanCleve

Call to order at 6:01 pm by Andy Milluzzi

Presentation of Colors and Salute

Agenda was discussed and agreed upon

Introductions were held

Secretary’s Report

  • Minutes from previous meeting made available on the club’s website, https://www.wd4wdw.org
  • Previous meeting minutes were accepted by the attendees

Treasurer’s Report

  • The club’s current bank balance is $12,211.38
  • 2019 Income was $15,598.89 and 2019 Expenditures were $4,401.44
  • A breakdown of transactions since the last meeting were displayed on screen
  • Encouraged club attendees to continue to use Amazon Smile and mention the club when renewing or signing up for ARRL subscriptions
  • Formulation of a budget is a topic for the next administrative meeting
  • Treasurer’s report was accepted by the attendees

Guest Speaker – Aaron Magness, Walt Disney World Emergency Management

  • Aaron is an Emergency Preparedness Coordinator for WDW Emergency Management
  • Their group is part of the larger Global Security team
  • Covers both domestic and foreign theme parks, resorts, vacation club, and Adventure by Disney
    • WDW alone consists of approximately 38 square miles covering two counties with over 250,000 daily park and resort guests, over 74,000 cast members, and several thousand contractors
    • Twenty-seven owned and operated hotels, over 29,000 rooms and growing, 8 Disney Vacation Club resorts, and over 700,000 square feet of convention space
    • Disney Springs, EPSN Wide World of Sports complex
    • Coverage of Invictus Games, runDisney events, and Dignitary visits
  • Blues Cast, Motor/Bike, and Tower
    • Cover screening locations, parks, resorts, parking lots, roadways, etc.
    • Security K-9 unit consists of 48 dogs and handlers (soon to be 79)
    • The towers in parking lots are a good deterrent.  Can’t tell if they are manned or not.
  • Prepare, Communicate, Collaborate, Respond
  • WDW Annual Exercise Program
    • Managed by WDW Emergency Management team
    • Based on FEMA – Homeland Security Exercise and Evaluation Program
    • Purpose is to test operational guidelines, identify resource needs, improve coordination and communication, improve performance, and build relationships and trust
    • Functional, Table-top, and Full-scale exercises are conducted property-wide
    • Aaron spoke about some exercises they performed, including:
      • Simulated Active Shooter at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney Springs
      • Transportation Watercraft, Monorail, and Buses
      • Sassagoula River Cruise
      • Skyliner Evacuation Drill including lifts that go up to 173 feet in the air
      • Soarin’, the Barnstormer and Kali River Rapids
    • They are also involved during weather situations and wildfires
    • Their group has key relationships with several other law enforcement and emergency management organizations around the area

Old Business

  • Bylaws Discussion – Sections 1 to 5
    • Review of member-submitted comments and feedback
    • Section 1 – Discussion of “non-profit” vs. “not-for-profit”.  General consensus is that DEARS is a non-profit, and thus our state Articles of Incorporation may need to be updated
    • Section 2 – Suggestion to change bylaws to reference the Articles of Incorporation for the club’s Address and P.O. Box rather than having to update and vote on new bylaws every time they change – Agreed upon by the attendees
    • Section 2 – Change of Address – suggest removing “of elected officers” entirely – Agreed upon by the attendees
    • Section 2 – discussion of “club officers” vs. “board of directors”
    • Section 3 – Other Offices – suggest correcting grammatical error by rewording to “within or outside of its” – Agreed upon by the attendees
    • Section 5 – Name – Suggest removing “D.E.A.R.S.” and leaving DEARS (without the periods) – Agreed upon by the attendees
    • Discussion of moving section 5 to section 1
    • Acceptance of the revisions to sections 1 to 5 in their entirety was tabled.
  • Monthly Administrative Meetings/Executive Board Meetings
    • We now instituted monthly meetings to discuss club administrative matters
    • Forum for proposing club projects for funding, planning for events, and general operations
    • Discussions are open to general membership and comments are welcome
    • Minutes publicly posted on website for review
    • Next scheduled administrative meeting will be August 28th at 6pm

New Business

  • Discussed next Bylaws sections to review, with a feedback deadline of 7 days prior to the next general club meeting
  • Proposed setting up a committee to review the bylaws due to the slow pace taken during the monthly meeting, with an appointed chairperson that is not an officer – Agreed upon by the attendees.  The following attendees expressed an interest in being on the bylaws committee:
    •     Devon Thornton
    •     Brenda Davis
    •     Ken Kerns
    •     Sean Wall
    •     Ian Ward
  • For our September meeting we plan to build 2-meter antennas.  Materials will be provided.  This will be a hands-on activity that everyone can participate in if they choose to do so.
  • Ricardo will be handling Net Control for the upcoming Wednesday, August 28th D.E.A.R.S. Net at 7pm.  Also known as the “Fun Net” on 147.300 offset +600 PL/CTCSS 103.5 and EchoLink node #632802.
  • Our antenna tower may be unsafe and in need of replacement.  The DC-6 tower is also in need of replacement within the next year.  The club will make decisions as we receive information.
  • Brenda provided some information on potential antenna replacements for the club.
  • Emails will only be used for reminders for the club.  Slack is used for real-time discussions.
  • The tower trailer previously used by DEARS is not actually owned by DEARS.  It is registered to WDW Telecomm and they have plans to use it.  We will be appointed a contact person and we must agree not to take it off property whenever we borrow it.
  • A raffle was held and several of our attendees received prizes (2 Star Wars mugs and 1 Disney Twenty-Three magazine issue)

Next administrative club meeting: August 28th, 2019

Next general club meeting: September 11th, 2019

Adjourn: 7:51pm


July 31, 2019 DEARS Administrative Meeting

Disney Emergency Amateur Radio Services

PO Box 690905, Orlando, Florida 32869-0905  https://www.wd4wdw.org

Type meeting: Administrative Meeting July 31, 2019

Meeting Location: Disney’s All-Star Resort Cast Services Building, Box Office conference room

Attendees:

Steve Martin, Ian Ward, Andy Milluzzi, David Glasser, Angel Hernandez, Brenda Davis, Sean Wall, Paul Bousquet

Call to order at 6:00 pm by Andy Milluzzi

Agenda was discussed and agreed upon

Introductions were held

Secretary’s Report

  • Minutes from previous meeting made available on the club’s website, https://www.wd4wdw.org
  • Previous meeting minutes were accepted by the attendees

Treasure’s Report

  • The club’s current bank balance is $12,885.69
  • The club received $12,500 from Disney’s Volunteer grant
  • Last year the club received $16,350 due to more cast submitting volunteer hours

Old Business

  • The board unanimously accepted the resignation letter of club president Rebekah Bachstein
    • A replacement will be tabled until after the club bylaws are reviewed and approved
    • Andy Milluzzi will assume the role of club president in the interim
    • Robert’s Rules of Order should guide the club on the replacement procedures
    • We expect to hold an election in the future to fill the vice present position as well as an additional board member if approved by the bylaws
  • Discussed plan for reviewing the bylaws at upcoming meetings
    • Will discuss sections one through five at the upcoming August meeting
    • Would like to review four pages per meeting
    • Members will be notified in advance and provided specific deadlines to provide their feedback in advance of the meeting
    • Comments are due one week prior to the next upcoming meeting.  That will be August 7th for the August meeting.
    • An electronic copy of the bylaws will be made available

New Business

  • Suggest building an antenna as a club activity during the September, 2019 meeting
    • Quarter wave or Discone antenna
    • The club will borrow most materials from MakerFX but may make small purchases
    • No monetary contributions from the membership are to be expected for this activity
    • Planning for approximately twenty people
    • Activity to take place during middle of meeting.  Those not interested may treat it as additional social time.
  • Review of FY18 and FY19 club income and expenditures to date
    • A spreadsheet summarizing the club’s financial register from July, 2018 to date was presented on-screen
    • A main reason for the review is to determine a reasonable budget for the upcoming year
    • The following anomalies were pointed out:
      • We still do not have any information from the Partners bank account, even after requesting the information from Ken Kerns, the previous club treasurer, both verbally and in writing.  Requested that the account be closed out.
      • Edgehill – Advance on Equipment Purchased for $2000
      • Three separate payments for Van Insurance even though we only insure one van
      • ECRA – Ken Loan for $2000 (notes state this was for Cameras and Generator payback)
      • Go-box Equipment
      • Shirts ordered and payed for out of club funds, but no funds deposited to account (at least since July 2018).  Shirt costs varied from $27-$35 each.
      • Several line items state Shipping Payed but not what it was payed for
      • $147.50 was spent on food from Publix on 10-24-18
      • Several restaurant purchases were listed, many in Davenport
      • ATM withdrawal of $60 plus fees
    • The club will send a certified letter within thirty days to Ken Kerns asking for an explanation of the anomalies and their recovery if deemed appropriate
    • Going forward the club may require two signatures on checks to prevent similar situations from occurring again
    • The club incurred overdraft fees due to the balance dropping below a set amount
    • Some of the fees were refunded back by the bank at Rebekah’s request
    • There was some discussion about the Junior Achievement Bowl-a-Thon and whether the club could use their funds to assist with another volunteer organization’s fund-raising activities.  Suggested that we be cognizant of Disney’s rules.
    • We will investigate using another bank to reduce our fees going forward
  • FY20 Club Budget
    • The treasurer suggested that we move the club’s fiscal year to July 1 through June 30
      • This places the start of the year closer to when the club receives a majority of its funds
      • The board would like to file all paperwork (IRS, State of Florida Corporate Filing) at the same interval.  Need to be cognizant of required reporting periods.
    • Ian was able to reduce our $200/month internet expense to $120/year using a mobile internet hotspot
    • Need to identify key expenses to plan into the future club budget – perhaps at the next administrative meeting
    • We need to amend our Florida filing to reflect the new club president
    • We should have a financial calendar (may be able to use the website’s calendar)
    • We may want to accrue money monthly that we know we will need for our annual expenditures

General Questions and Answers

  • Can non-cast members submit volunteer hours in the Hub? – No
  • Can non-cast members submit volunteer hours for HamCation service? – Yes
  • Do we have a specified length of time that meetings should last? – No
    • David suggested that we have a better administrative beginning, middle, and conclusion, and should give meeting durations some thought
  • What is the purpose of the “Chat & Chew” just prior to the club’s monthly meetings?
    • The “Chat & Chew”, usually held at the McDonalds near Animal Kingdom prior to club meetings, is simply a designated place for attendees to informally gather and socialize
    • There are typically four to five attendees
    • We may need to find a new “Chat & Chew” location while our meetings are temporarily held elsewhere
  • Should we move the officer elections to a different time of the year, instead of between when the volunteer hours are submitted and received? – No need to move them at this time

Suggestions and Observations:

  • Request advance feedback for items to be discussed during upcoming meetings
  • Add a field to the club roster to indicate whether attendees are cast members or not
  • Have a computer available at the meetings for cast members to log their volunteer hours
  • The club should communicate basic day-to-day information with the membership regularly, such as towers that need to come down due to stress fractures, antenna work, etc.
  • Please be patient – it may take up to a year to get the club back on track where it should be
  • Slack will be the communication method for real-time feedback.  General notifications will still take place using email, Facebook, and the club website.
  • The club should offer opportunities for club members to sign up for, such as having a supply list and allotted individuals that can acquire and deliver them when we’re covering an event
  • We need to be sure we have funds to cover the slower months when income is not coming in
  • We may want to have a board member for programs/projects/activities.  This will need to be discussed during the review of the bylaws.
  • We should not be producing club shirts at cost.  We should charge enough to cover the entire cost, including shipping, as well as a small administrative fee.
  • We should consider instituting a membership fee.  Perhaps charge new members $10 and provide them with a coffee mug, or $25 per person per year.
    • We need to determine our minimum budget necessary to operate first
    • We may want to spread the membership fees across the year so we have a rolling income rather than collecting them all in a single month each year
  • Next general club meeting: August 14th, 2019
  • Next administrative club meeting: August 28th, 2019
  • Adjourn: 7:58pm

———————————————-

July 10, 2019 DEARS Meeting

Disney Emergency Amateur Radio Services

MEETING MINUTES

PO Box 690905, Orlando, Florida, 32869-0905

Meeting Location: Disney’s All-Star Resort Cast Services Building

Call to order at: 6:04 pm

By: Rebekah Bachstein

Quorum: Called and Counted = 18 members, 2 non-members

Presentation of Colors and Salute

Reports:

President:

  • Rebekah Bachstein, the current club president, stated her desire to step down from the position effective immediately
    • Rebekah handed in a signed resignation letter dated July 5th, 2019
    • Reasons stated include bitter email exchanges with certain individuals, potential mismanagement of club funds in the past, accusations of missing equipment, lack of appreciation for the tremendous work her parents have provided to the club, and wanting to reduce stress and start a family

Vice President:

  • Field Day
    • The club had a great Field Day on June 22nd-23rd
    • Thirty-three people signed the attendance roster at the event, and we believe there may have been additional attendees over and above that
    • The club ran two stations off of generator power throughout the event (class 2A).  Those not using the two stations were asked to broadcast under their own call signs to keep the club within the 2A classification.
    • We made 214 total contacts and received 388 total QSO points
    • Operating period: 2019/06/22 18:39 – 2019/06/23 16:35 UTC
    • Average QSOs per hour (with breaks over 30 minutes deducted) were 11.6
    • Total sections worked was 50, total states worked was 38
    • We had 40 phone and 174 digital QSOs, mostly on 20, 40, and 80-meter bands
    • A great family dinner cookout was provided by Rebekah and Logan, and other members brought deserts and assisted
    • We had several boy scouts attend.  Ian held a training class and provided them the opportunity to broadcast and earn their merit badges.
    • Requested attendees to post their likes and dislikes to the Field Day Slack channel so we can improve going forward
  • NA1WJ International Boy Scout Jamboree fliers and magnets were available for anyone to take.  Their website is https://www.na1wj.net and their Facebook account is “K2BSA.Scouting”.
  • Suggested that we begin following Robert’s Rules of Order for future meetings

General Membership:

  • Some members do not feel comfortable using Slack and requested that all important club communications continue to happen through email
  • Club offers could start using generic emails using the website’s reflector rather than using their personal emails when communicating.  We may need to contact Kurt Livingston for setup/configuration instructions.
  • The club offered to provide a method to receive anonymous feedback from members.  Some in attendance felt strongly that this would be a bad idea and that all feedback should be open and known, not anonymous.
  • A suggestion was made to do introductions at future meetings.  Almost everyone agreed.
  • The club members should respect one another and the club should be highly respected
  • Any potential mismanagement of club funds in the past should be investigated.  Any funds found missing or incorrectly used should be reacquired and placed back into the club treasury.
  • Meeting minutes should be placed on the club’s website
  • On the first Saturday in December there will be a SkyWarn training session and tour of the National Weather Service offices available to anyone interested (this event is not sponsored by D.E.A.R.S.)

Club Bylaws:

  • The club intended to vote on a revised set of club bylaws at this meeting
  • Physical copies of the revised bylaws were provided during the last monthly meeting and again provided at this month’s meeting
  • A few vocal members in the audience did not agree with the current 2015 bylaws that the club is currently running under
  • There was a mention of three other documents from 2011 that also helped guide the club
  • The bylaws should cover that we are a Disney Cast Club and must follow their rules, and any rules related to our 501(c)(3) status and the state department that governs corporations
  • It was decided that we should review the revised club bylaws a little at a time during each upcoming monthly meeting.
  • Members can email their suggested changes to wd4wdw@outlook.com prior to the meetings as long as the next meeting is at least seven days away.
  • We will attempt to cover the first five sections of the revised bylaws during the next monthly club meeting.
  • Due to the inability to certify the club bylaws, we were also unable to add a fifth tie-breaking board member as planned

Treasurer/Trustee:

  • We have approximately $385 remaining in our bank account
  • Recent expenditures include
    • insurance for our equipment covered through the ARRL
    • vehicle insurance on the club van
    • filing of state paperwork
    • post office box fees
  • May move funds from SunTrust to another institution to reduce our fees, minimum balance, and monthly usage requirements
  • We have not yet received any funds from the Disney “EARS to You” grants this year

Secretary:

  • Suggested that everyone in attendance sign the roster

President:

  • Next month’s guest speaker will be Jennifer Mason, security manager for WDW Emergency Management
  • Ricardo will be handling Net Control for the upcoming Wednesday, July 24th D.E.A.R.S. Net at 7pm.  Also known as the “Fun Net” on 147.300 offset +600 PL/CTCSS 103.5 and EchoLink node #632802.
  • A raffle was held and several of our attendees received prizes (a snow globe, a Mickey stuffed toy, and three pairs of Beast socks from Beauty and the Beast)
  • A Mickey goodbye song was played and sung by the membership

The next club meeting will be held at Disney’s All-Star Resort Cast Services Building at 6pm, 8/14/19 with VE testing sessions available at 5pm

Adjourn:  7:31 pm